I. The following 14 promises regarding the Way of the Cross were given to Bro. Estanislao (1903-1927), a member of the Brothers of the Christian Schools at Bugedo. According to the Master of Novices, Bro. Estanislao was a privileged soul who received messages from Heaven. His spiritual director asked him to write the promises made by Our Lord to those who have devotion to the Way of the Cross. These promises and the Brother’s virtues have been favourably recognized by confessors and theologians.
1. I will grant everything that is asked of Me with faith when making the Way of the Cross.
2. I promise eternal life to those who from time to time pray the Way of the Cross.
3. I will follow them everywhere in life, and I will help them especially at the hour of death.
4. Even if they have more sins than blades of grass in the fields and grains of sand in the sea, all of these sins will be erased by the Way of the Cross. (This promise does not eliminate the obligation to confess all mortal sins, and this before receiving Holy Communion.)
5. Those who pray the Way of the Cross often will have a special glory in Heaven.
6. I will deliver them from Purgatory – indeed, if they go there at all – the first Tuesday or Friday after their death.
7. I will bless them at each Way of the Cross, and My blessing will follow them everywhere on earth and, after death, in Heaven for all eternity.
8. At the hour of death. I will not permit the devil to tempt them; I will lift all power from him in order that they will repose tranquilly in My arms.
9. If they pray with true love, I will make each one of them a living ciborium in which it will please Me to pour My grace.
10. I will fix My eyes on those who pray the Way of the Cross often; My hands will always be open to protect them.
11. As I am nailed to the Cross, so also will I always be with those who honour Me in making the Way of the Cross frequently.
12. They will never be able to separate themselves from Me, for I will give them the grace never again to commit a mortal sin.
13. At the hour of death I will console them with My presence, and we will go together to Heaven. Death will be sweet to all those who have honoured Me during their lives by praying the Way of the Cross.
14. My soul will be a protective shield for them, and will always help them whenever they have recourse to it.
II. HOW TO GAIN A PLENARY INDULGENCE FOR MAKING THE STATIONS – FROM THE ENCHIRIDION. OF INDULGENCES, No. 26:
To gain a plenary indulgence for making the Stations it is necessary to move from Station, to meditate on the sufferings of Our Lord (no specific prayers are required), and to have the intention of gaining the indulgence. (Indulgences can always be applied to the Souls in Purgatory.)
Moreover, “To acquire a plenary indulgence , it is necessary to perform the work to which the indulgence is attached and to fulfil three conditions: sacramental Confession, Eucharistic Communion and prayer for the intentions of the Supreme Pontiff (e.g., one ‘Our Father’ and one ‘Hail Mary’). It is further required that all attachment to sin, even to venial sin, be absent.”