“On this great Solemnity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, King of the Universe, let us today prayerfully reflect on what some holy people have said about Jesus:
• ‘Nothing is mine, I no longer have anything but Jesus. No place, no thing, no person, no thought, no feelings, no suffering can turn me away from Jesus. He is for me honour, delight, heart and soul. He whom I love is fatherland, Heaven already! My treasure! My love! Jesus, and Jesus crucified alone makes my happiness.’ (St Bernadette)
• ‘The Lord ate from a common bowl, and asked the disciples to sit on the grass. He washed their feet, with a towel wrapped around his waist – He who is Lord of the universe.’ (St Clement of Alexandria)
• ‘Jesus, the very thought of thee with sweetness fills my breast; But sweeter far thy face to see, and in thy presence rest.’ (St Bernard)
• ‘To holy people the very name of Jesus is a name to feed upon, a name to transport. His name can raise the dead and transfigure and beautify the living.’ (Blessed John Henry Newman)
• ‘Jesus is the sun of our souls, whence they receive all grace, light and influence. And the earth of our hearts should be in continual movement towards him in order to receive in all its parts and powers the favourable aspects and benign influences of this great luminary.’ (Cardinal Pierre de Berulle)
• When placed on the rack to be tortured for her faith: ‘Know, tyrant, that you cannot pluck my faith from my heart! Jesus Christ is my all-in-all, He is my treasure, my life, my bliss, my capitol, my temple, my altar, and nothing can separate Him from me.’ (St Macra).
• ‘Oh, if everyone were to know how beautiful Jesus is, how amiable He is! They would die from love.’ (St Gemma Galgani)
• ‘The violence of Jesus is deep love, not sword or the prison, which is how we always want to resolve the problems which seem insoluble to us.’ (Carlo Corretto – Little Brother of Jesus & spiritual writer)
• ‘Nothing restrains anger, curbs pride, heals the wounds of malice, bridles self-indulgence, quenches the passions, checks avarice and puts unclean thoughts to flight as does the name of Jesus.’ (St Bernard).
– From: “Spiritual Thought from Fr Chris”