The Chaplet of St Anthony of Padua consists of thirteen Our Fathers, Hail Marys and Glorys in honour of the thirteen favours mentioned in the ‘Miraculous Responsory’ (see below).
The following invocations may be used before each set of Our Father, Hail Mary and Glory be.
1. Most gracious St Anthony, keep me from sin and enable me to persevere in good.
2. Great St Anthony, keep whatever is uncharitable far from me.
3. Dear St Anthony, make mine a true, lasting and vibrant faith.
4. Good St Anthony, banish from my heart all that would cloud God’s love.
5. Great St Anthony, encouraged by your gentleness, help me to grow in genuine conversion of heart.
6. St Anthony, heal me. Obtain for me a true love of God and health of mind and soul.
7. St Anthony, with my Guardian Angel, guide me through the perils of this life and keep me safe.
8. St Anthony, protect me from the devil’s temptations and obtain for me God’s help.
9. St Anthony, healer of the sick, preserve my life and grant me blessings of good health.
10. Saint of miracles, finder of lost things, help me to discover what is truly important in my life.
11. St Anthony, my helper and friend of God, be my defence and security in times of doubt.
12. St Anthony and friend of God, I ask your intercession at God’s throne for divine grace.
13. St Anthony, I join with you now and with the whole company of heaven in praising the Father, Son and Holy Spirit forever and ever. Amen.
THE MIRACULOUS RESPONSORY (“SI QUAERIS”)
If then you ask for miracles,
death, error, all calamities,
leprosy and demons fly,
and health succeeds infirmities.
The sea obeys and fetters break,
and lifeless limbs do you restore;
while treasures lost are found again,
when young and old your aid implore.
All dangers vanish at your prayer,
and direst need does quickly flee;
let those who know your power proclaim,
let Paduans say: these are of thee.
To Father, Son, may glory be
and Holy Spirit, eternally.
Pray for us, blessed Anthony.
Make us worthy of the promises of Christ.
Let us pray:
Lord God, may the votive commemoration of blessed Anthony, your Confessor and Doctor, be a source of joy for your people. May they always be strengthened with his spiritual assistance and deserve eternal rewards. Through Christ our Lord. Amen.