1. O come, O come, Emmanuel,
and ransom captive Israel,
that mourns in lonely exile here
until the Son of God appear:
Rejoice, rejoice! Emmanuel
shall come to thee, O Israel.
2. O come, thou Rod of Jesse, free
thine own from Satan’s tyranny;
from depths of hell thy people save,
and give them vict’ry o’er the grave:
3. O come, thou dayspring, come and cheer
our spirits by thine advent here;
disperse the gloomy clouds of night,
and death’s dark shadows put to flight:
4. O come, thou key of David, come
and open wide our heavenly home;
make safe the way that leads on high,
and close the path to misery.
5. O come, O come, thou Lord of might,
who to thy tribes, on Sinai’s height
in ancient times, didst give the law
in cloud and majesty and awe.
– from the ‘Great O Antiphons’ (12th-13th century)