O God, you so lovingly offered us eternal life through Mary’s maternal virginity; grant us to feel the power of her intercession, for it was through her we received the author of life, Jesus Christ, your Son, our Lord, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Tag Archives: Mother of God
Ye who own the faith of Jesus
Sing the wonders that were done,
When the love of God the Father
O’er our sin the victory won,
When he made the Virgin Mary
Mother of his only Son.
Hail Mary, full of grace.
Bless-ed were the chosen people
Out of whom the Lord did come,
Bless-ed was the land of promise
Fashioned for his earthly home;
But more bless-ed far the Mother
She who bare him in her womb.
Wherefore let all faithful people
Tell the honour of her name,
Let the Church in her foreshadowed
Part in her thanksgiving claim;
What Christ’s Mother sang in gladness
Let Christ’s people sing the same.
Let us weave our supplications,
She with us and we with her,
For the advancement of the faithful,
For each faithful worshipper,
for the doubting, for the sinful,
For each heedless wanderer.
May the Mother’s intercessions
On our homes a blessing win,
That the children all be prospered,
Strong and fair and pure within,
Following our Lord’s own footsteps,
Firm in faith and free from sin.
For the sick and for the ag-ed,
For our dear ones far away,
For the hearts that mourn in secret,
All who need our prayers to-day,
For the faithful gone before us,
May the holy Virgin pray.
Praise, O Mary, praise the Fat her,
Praise thy Saviour and thy Son,
Praise the everlasting Spirit,
Who hath made thee ark and throne;
O’er all creatures high exalted,
Lowly praise the Three in One. Amen.
“Mary is exalted for the sake of Jesus. It was fitting that she, as being a creature, though the first of creatures, should have an office of ministration. She, as others, came into the world to do a work, she had a mission to fulfil; her grace and her glory are not for her own sake, but for her Maker’s; and to her is committed the custody of the Incarnation… her glories and the devotion paid her proclaim and define the right faith concerning him as God and man.”
– Bl. John Henry Newman; Mary is the Mother of God. Christ is God, who has become man. Mix., 348-49
Bestow, O Lord, on your servants the gift of divine grace; and as the motherhood of the blessed Virgin was the dawn of our redemption, so may this feast of her birthday bring about our growth in peace. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, for ever and ever. Amen.
May the Virgin Mother of God be an unfailing model for us.
V. Lord, hear us.
R. Lord, graciously hear us.
Under her care may we advance in wisdom and in grace with God.
V. Lord, hear us.
R. Lord, graciously hear us.
Give us, your servants, O Lord God, the joy of true health of body and mind; and through the intercession of Blessed Mary ever a virgin, rid us of this present sadness, and fill us with eternal joy. Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son, who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, God, for ever and ever. Amen.
The shepherds hurried away to Bethlehem and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby lying in the manger. When they saw the child they repeated what they had been told about him, and everyone who heard it was astonished what the shepherds had to say. As for Mary, she treasured all these things and pondered them in her heart. And the shepherds went back glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen; it was exactly as they had been told.
When the eighth day came and the child was to be circumcised, they gave him the name Jesus, the name the angel had given him before his conception.
V. The Gospel of the Lord.
R. Praise to you, Lord Jesus Christ.
FROM THE DIVINE OFFICE: ANTIPHONS FOR THE SOLEMNITY OF MARY, THE MOTHER OF GOD
• O wondrous exchange! The Maker of mankind, taking upon himself a body and soul, was pleased to be born of a Virgin; and becoming man with no man for a father, he gave us a share in his divine nature.
• Your wonderful birth of a Virgin fulfilled the Scriptures: for you came down like dew upon the fleece to save mankind: our God, we praise you!
• A shoot has come forth from the stock of Jesse; a star has come forth out of Jacob; the Virgin has brought forth a Saviour: our God, we praise you!
• Behold, Mary has brought forth for us a Saviour. And John, on seeing him, cried out: “Behold, the Lamb of God, behold him, who takes away the sins of the world, alleluia.”
• A wonderful mystery is revealed today: both natures receive something new; God becomes man, continuing to be what he had been, taking up what he had not been; there is neither mingling nor division of natures in him.
• O mysterious kinship! The womb of a virgin became God’s temple; by taking flesh of her he was not defiled; all nations shall come and sing: “Glory to you, O Lord!”